Friday, March 18, 2011

Act1 Sense1

Act 1 Scene 1
[Outside of Cleminson Hall]                         
Sampson:   Gregory, I don’t put up with insults.
Gregory:  You should focus on not getting into trouble.
Sampson: I punch harder when I’m mad.
Gregory: it’s hard to make you mad.
Sampson: Yeah, Montague kids can.
Gregory:  {laughing} yeah to run the other way.
Sampson: Someone from there will make me lose it; I’ll take the best path against the wall and leave them with whatever is left.
Gregory: that shows are weak, the weak are pushed around
Sampson: that’s why girls are pushed against the walls. All right then I’ll push them into the middle of the street and the girls against the wall.
Gregory: The fight is between the schools and the people that go to them.
Sampson It’s the same. I’ll be cruel to them as a master sometimes is to their slaves. When I’m through, I’ll be nice to the girls and sleep in their beds.   
Gregory: Sleep in their beds? You do mean the girls? Right?
Sampson: They’ll feel me as long as I’m able to stand. Everyone knows I am a pretty piece of flesh.
[Walking past Cleminson Hall]                            
[ABRAM and another servant of the Montagues enter.
Sampson: I got your back.
Gregory:  (snickering) how will you do that Sam, by running the other way?
Sampson:  Don’t worry about what I do, okay?
Gregory: No, really, I worry about you sometimes.
Sampson: Don’t start the fight, let them.
Gregory: I’ll look at them as they walk past let them take that whatever way they want to.
Sampson: I’ll give them the finger.
{Sampson sticks up his finger}
Abram: What the hell man, did you just give me the finger
Sampson: I was sticking up my finger
Abram: Are you doing it at us?
Sampson: (Says to Gregory) Would I get in trouble if I said yes?
Gregory: (Says to Sampson) Yes.
Sampson: (To Abram) Not at you.
Gregory: You trying to start a fight?
Abram: NO
Sampson: If you want a fight then I’m your man. I fight as well as you.
Abram: But not better?
Sampson: Well?                             {Entering Benvolio}
Gregory: (speaking so only SAMPSON can hear) Good. Here comes Benvolio.
Sampson: Sweet.
Abram: Liar
Sampson: Fight us if you’re not scared. Greg don’t forget to hit hard.
[They fight]
Benvolio: Stop, idiots we’re in front of school.
[Enter Tybalt]
Tybalt: What, you fight with losers now. Fight with me, and look at the man that’s going to kick your butt.
Benvolio: Just trying to keep the peace.
Tybalt: Peace? I hate the word just like hell, all Montagues, and you. Fight me coward.
[They fight]
[Enter an officer and three or four citizens with clubs, bats, or night sticks breaking up the fight.]
[Enter old Capulet, in his tux, and his wife, Lady Capulet]
Capulet: What is this?
Lady Capulet: I don’t know, no one’s telling me anything.
Capulet: Well we need to know before the Montagues do.
[Enter old Montague and his wife, Lady Montague]
Montague: Capulet, you… [Lady Montague holds him at her side] let go of me.
Lady Montague: Don’t take another step toward our enemy.
[Enter Prince Escalus, with his train.]
Prince Escalus: [Shouting] You rebels, enemies to peace! You men, you beast. Comfort in spilling each other’s blood. Three times have you disturbed a school’s property if you do it once again than one of you shall be kicked out of school.
[Exeunt all but Montague, and Benvolio]
Montague: Who started this fight? Speak nephew, where you here when it started?
Benvolio: People were all ready fighting when I got there. Then Tybalt showed up and everything went downhill from there.
Lady Montague: Where is Romeo? Have you seen him today? I am glad that he wasn’t at the fight earlier today.
Benvolio: I saw him last night underneath the sycamore grove on the west side. He was walking, I walked toward him and when he heard me he ran.
Montague: He’s been upset lately. He makes artificial nights, he stays in his room, and some days I even catch him with fresh tears in his eyes.
Benvolio: Why?
Montague: I don’t know?
Benvolio: Did you ask?
Montague: Yes, I and some of my friends have asked as well. He doesn’t talk to us. If we could only find out what’s up setting him, we’d be happy to help.
[Enter Romeo]
Benvolio: Look – there he is. Could you give us a moment? He can tell me what it is or hear me repeat the same question again and again.
Montague: I hope he tells you the truth about what’s wrong. [To his wife] Come on honey let’s go.
Benvolio: Good morning, cousin.
Romeo: What time is it?
Benvolio: A little after nine.
Romeo: Time goes slow when you’re sad. Was that my dad that you were with that left in a rush?
Benvolio: Yeah, what’s wrong with you, why are your days longer?
Romeo: I don’t have what makes time fly.
Benvolio: What, in love?
Romeo: Out-
Benvolio: Of love?
Romeo: I love this girl, but she doesn’t love me.
Benvolio: That’s messed up man. Love looks nice, but it’s actually rough in reality.
Romeo: What’s messed up is that love is suppose to be blind, but it makes you do whatever it wants. Where are we eating? [Romeo sees the blood on Benvolio] What happened? Don’t tell me. I’m in love, but the one that I hove she doesn’t love meback. Don’t laugh!
Benvolio: No, I rather cry.
Romeo: Why are you crying?
Benvolio: Because of how sad you are.
Romeo: This is what love does, the sadness sits on my chest and you want to add your own. You frustrate love and you end up with an ocean full of tears. a sweet lozenge that you choke on. Bye Cousin.
Benvolio: I’ll go with you, you can’t just leave me, and it’s rude. Who do you love?
Romeo: You wouldn’t tell a sick man to make his will ‘cause it’ll only make him worse. I love a girl.
Benvolio: I guessed that.
Romeo: Then you were right on target. She’ll not be hit with Cupid’s arrow. From Love’s weak childish bow she lives uncharmed.
Benvolio: She has sworn to live chaste.
Romeo: Yes, she wastes her beauty. She won’t have children.
Benvolio: Forget about her.
Romeo: Teach me how to forget.
Benvolio: By looking at other girls.
Romeo: That will only make me think about her more. Beautiful woman like to wear black mask on their faces to only to make us guess how much beauty lies underneath. Her beauty is like a note telling me where I can see. You can’t teach me to forget. Goodbye cousin.
Benvolio: I will teach you to forget if it’s the last thing I do

No comments:

Post a Comment