Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet Act1 Scene3

Act1 Scene3

Lady Capulet: Nurse, where’s my daughter? Tell her to come here.

Nurse: I swear to you to you madam I told her to come. God forbid, where is that girl? JULIET!

[Enter Juliet]

Juliet: Yeah, who’s calling me?

Nurse: Your mother.

Lady Capulet: I’ll tell you --- Nurse, give us a moment; we must talk in private, Nurse come back you’ve heard our secrets once before. You know how Juliet is.

Nurse: Yes. I know her age down to the hour.

Lady Capulet: She’s not even eighteen.

Nurse: I’d bet on my teeth, but I only have four. She’s not eighteen. How long until Lammastide?

Lady Capulet: Two weeks and odd days.

Nurse: Even or odd it doesn’t even matter because on the night of Lammas Eve she’ll be eighteen. It’s been eleven years since the earthquake. Juliet had just stopped nursing from my breast on that day. I won’t forget. You and your husband were gone. She tastes the bitter wormwood on my nipple; she got irritated and started to fight with my breast. The dove house shook with the earthquake. No need to tell me to leave. That was eleven years ago. By then she was able to stand up without any help. She could move all around. I know because she had cut her forehead the day before. My husband God rest his soul, a happy man --- picked her up. “Oh,” he said, “Did you fall on your face? You’ll fall backward when you grow smarter. Won’t you Jule.” I swear she stopped crying and said “Yes”.

Lady Capulet: Enough, please be quiet.

Nurse: I can’t stop laughing that she actually stopped crying and said “Yes”. She had a bruise on her face as big as a Ping-Pong ball. A painful bruise, and she was crying like there was no tomorrow.

Juliet: Now stop, Nurse please.

Nurse: May God pick you to take his hand. If I live to see you get married then I’ll have all of my wishes come true.

Lady Capulet: Marriage is what we have to discuss. Tell me Juliet, how do you feel about marriage?

Juliet: It’s an honor I don’t dream of.

Nurse: An honor! If I weren’t your only nurse, I would say you hadn’t sucked wisdom from the breast that feed you.

Lady Capulet: Well start now. Here there are girls younger then you who have already been made mothers. I was your mother at just your age. Paris wants you to marry him.

Nurse: What a man, a great man as all in the world. Like a sculpted of wax.

Lady Capulet: (to Juliet) What do you think? You’ll see him at our feast tonight. Study his face his face and find pleasure in his beauty. Examine his features and see how they work. Look into his eyes if you are confused. He lacks only a bride to make him complete. Many women think that he’s handsome. You would lose nothing.

Nurse: lose nothing? You’d get bigger by getting you pregnant.

Lady Capulet :( to Juliet) Can you accept Paris’s love?

Juliet: I’ll look at him and try to like him, if he’s likeable. But nothing more then what your permission allows.

Peter: Madam, the guest are here, dinner is served. You are being called for and so is Juliet. Everything is out of control. I have to go tend to the guest. I f you would follow me.

Lady Capulet: We’ll follow you. Juliet, Paris is waiting for you.

Nurse: Go; look for a man who’ll give happy nights to happy days.

No comments:

Post a Comment